Monday 11 July 2011

Wandering Aimlessly

My mind has been in the clouds today--and there are many clouds up in the sky right now so it's no wonder I feel like I have truly lost my head.  I decided a bit of fresh air could help to gather the senses and so I went for a walk.  My goal was to drop off an application form for a 2 day residential teaching preparation program on the other end of campus.  I also hoped to get a new planner (since my old one goes according to the academic calendar it ends in July) at a store in the middle of campus.

So I found myself wandering a zigzag path.  It was remnant of The Family Circus's (the old comic) depiction of an elementary aged child's walk home or to the park...completely all over the place without any sort of logical "straightest path from point A to B is a line" mentality.  The completely random path I set out on did take me all over campus in crooked and swerving footpaths, but it did end up accomplishing my two tasks, and helped me to relax a bit.

I found it to be very metaphorical of how I often feel whether it be life in general, cleaning the house, working on my research or walking with Tyler along the many sidewalks to the swings: at many points during the task or the journey it can feel aimless as though nothing is getting done and there is no actual point, and yet, in just a matter of time the point becomes clear.  A life choice is decided, the dishes are done and the laundry put away, the book is read and the paper is drafted, or we arrive at the swings.  An end is found.  The task is accomplished.  Victory!

And what I am starting to learn (slowly) is that the aimless wandering is often times the most important part, where things are clarified, unexpected paths taken that lead to the real point or destination, wonderful beauty is experienced or noticed that otherwise would have been missed.  Nothing in this life is pointless.

Yes, it is important to finish the task and get to our destination, but the journey taking us there is the part of life that is the essence: it is where the learning takes place, the reflection and thought.  And it is bound to be full of mistakes, full of unfortunate circumstances and full of moments when you realize that going the other way would have been easier.  But that's the journey.  It is also filled with the most miraculous realizations, the most beautiful encounters and the most meaningful redemptive moments that wash over the mistakes and turn them into wisdom.

The journey is the part of life that makes life worth living.