Thursday 7 July 2011

Dumpling Disaster

It started with a discounted box of dumpling mix, brought over to us by some neighbors of ours last winter.  We didn't make them, the mix sat in the box.  To be honest, we're not much of a dumpling family and the thought of putting in effort into making something that we didn't really like and isn't healthy for you robbed all motivation. So it became a pretend kitchen item for Tyler to play with and functioned quite well in its role.

Until two weeks ago.

I was playing with Tyler as he cooked me some gourmet cuisine on his stove including a helicopter that transformed into an apple tree:

"What are you cooking Tyler?"
He replied with what I thought sounded like "an apple".
"An apple?"
"No an apple tree."
"Oh, right.  You're cooking an apple tree?"
"Yeah, a yummy apple tree."

All was wonderful creative imaginative play, and then he spotted the dumpling box.

Tyler: "I want to cook that one."
Me: "Great, that's a wonderful idea.  Let's cook that one on your stove."
Tyler begins to open the box.
Me: "Oh, wait a minute.  Let's just pretend to cook the dumplings, like how you cooked the apple tree."
Tyler: "I want to take it out and cook it on my stove in my pan."

And so, without thinking it through, and in a moment of careless inhibition I thought, 'Why not?  It will be a fun opportunity to work more of the senses, a chance for me to relax about messes, and a cool memory.  Plus, how bad could it really be to clean up a little batter?'

I can hear any seasoned mothers as well as anyone who benefits from wisdom or merely has the ability to foreshadow mumbling their comments...you are right.  Bad idea.

Turns out, it does make a big mess.  I'm not familiar with what is in dumpling batter but whatever it is seemed to make it particularly difficult to clean after the fact.  There were remnants of the white goo for several days, although thankfully in smaller and smaller quantities.

However, the fun that Tyler had in what he created with this new hands-on experience  made it worthwhile.  It was a stretch for me to enjoy the process of making a huge (HUGE!) mess knowing I would most definitely be the one cleaning all of it up afterwards, but it taught me to relax in the moment (when the goop is already dripping over everything, mine as well enjoy the moment--you are already going to spend loads of time cleaning it up with q-tips and scrub brushes, why not be reminiscing a joyful moment rather than a stressful one?).

To see him concentrating so hard on pouring the batter, mixing it together, pouring it into various places and rubbing it all over his hands and face (and clothes and me and tiny crevices and cracks that I had never noticed before) was absolutely precious.  He was in his element.  Toddlers need to make a mess and need to be free to create...to let their minds and hands experience new textures and ways of fun.  He loved it and was so proud of his final product: a stack of plastic food items covered in dumpling batter served lovingly to me on a plate ("Here you go Mommy.  I made this one for you." I think my heart melted into some dumpling goop in that moment). A wonderful experience for us both.

So for next time: To goop or not to goop?

Most definitely: goop!

...as long as it is outside in an easily cleanable bucket with smocks or bathing suits and we have easy access to a paddling pool or hose...(feeling relaxed about creating messes does take its time to develop...)