Thursday 16 June 2011

The Lost Duckling

Yesterday I had to an errand on campus which made me leave my office (yay!).  The University of York is beautiful this time of year: trees, bridges, water, and LOTS of ducks and geese.  Over the past two months it has been a daily occurrence to see Mommy and Daddy ducks with their babies.  They are cute as cute can be and are growing up before my eyes (tear).  Some of them already bear more resemblance to their parents with full grown wings and feathers than they did just a bit ago.  It's also easier to walk around campus now that the babies are more independent.  When they were nesting and just hatched I encountered some pretty nasty hissing and flapping while trying to make my way to the library, a meeting or home.

But back to yesterday.

I was walking to the Sociology building over one of the lovely pedestrian bridges that crosses the pond when I heard frantic chirping.  Looking for the source I saw a baby duckling swimming as fast as its little legs would paddle in little circles and little zigzaws.  It was by itself and the logical part of my mind told me that wasn't so good.  Not wanting to interfere with nature but not being able to leave the duckling completely on its own I stayed fairly close by to watch.  The duckling continued to chirp and chirp and chirp.  Other ducks and geese in the area went on with what they were doing: eating, sleeping, swimming as this little guy made his way along the "shoreline".

I was trying to figure out what I could do to help.  I didn't want to make the situation worse, but I was worried for the duckling's prospects without a parent to protect him.  Before I could come up with any viable solution, I saw a duck from across the pond speedily swimming directly toward the duckling.  Then, the duckling started swimming towards the duck.  And I promise you I am telling the truth: it felt like a chick flick for waterfowl.  They met beautifully, as if rehearsed many times before, in the center of the pond and (what I took as lovingly) nestled and pecked each other.  Then, without much pause, the adult duck continued to swim to shore and the baby followed, much calmer now that he was safe again.

I'm sure people walking by and those in the area thought I had a bit of a problem as I scurried around the approximate 40 feet of shoreline this all took place in, ducking behind trees, taking a few steps, pausing, then taking two more.  But the cost of looking awkward and suspicious was well worth witnessing love reunited.

After the ordeal, I found myself being in awe of that little duck: he never gave up.  He had to keep going, he knew his life depended on it.  The circumstances were such that he had to show his strength, he had to rise to the occasion.  And so I began reflecting on the truth inherent in some of my all-time favorite quotes which I'll include below (in case you are inspired to reflect on reaching into the depths of what we're made of...if not feel free to skim straight past this part :)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~Marianne Williamson in her book A Return to Love (it has also been quoted by Nelson Mandela in one of his speeches)
"Be not afraid of greatness: some men are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare, "Twelfth Night"
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ~Mark Twain

After reflecting some, I started wishing I had been able to take a video of the whole ordeal, which then made me do a quick search on YouTube to see if anyone else had thought along those lines.  Turns out someone recorded a baby duck rescue from a pool.  If you need a 2 minute "cute" break, then this is worth watching.


I believe the man in this video helped these ducks in a simple, yet profound way, and at the risk of making too much out of a cute video I'll put another quote in here that I think says it all:

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." ~Benjamin Disraeli

 And so I'm going to make these goals part of my "Life Mission Statement" (which this moment has made me want to start):

1) Recognize my authentic voice, to "make manifest the great glory of God"
2) To let my light shine
3) To not fear greatness
4) To keep away from belittlers (or tune them out!)
5) And to help reveal all these things to others about themselves

Right!  Big motives and thankfully, expectations that allow for these things to happen over time not by dinnertime today.

You may be asking (as I am)-- all this from a lost baby duckling?  I guess to that I can only say: I'm glad it wasn't a lost moose.