Friday 17 June 2011

The Grass Carpet

Friday at last!  And wouldn't you know?  The clouds and chilly air have rolled in again just in time for the weekend, oh well!

Currently I am on a brief computer break in the Ron Cooke Hub (which is a new part of campus they just opened this year, a mile walk from my office).  I am here for a lecture by Baroness Helena Kennedy on social justice (hope to post on that later!).  The building is beautiful and state of the art.  These computers overlook a scattering of ponds (I am biased but the water, bridges and trees near the Sociology building are a bit prettier but unless I am out and walking around I do not get to view them all that often) so this is a real treat!

Upon walking into the building and into the main area (which has beautiful open space and very high ceilings), I saw what the University's website has been promoting and advertising recently: a square of grass in the middle of the floor available for those wishing to get into a sensory mood and explore the touch of a grass carpet.  It is supposed to enhance creativity: http://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2011/events/greening-festival-of-ideas/

It looks pretty, very colorful.  And to be honest, I'd be onboard for sitting on soft, green grass and pulling out a book or journal.  The thing is that it is still in a building (albeit a glorious one) and people of all sorts are walking by, chatting, the espresso machine is whirring at consistent intervals...I don't know...call it self-conscious or what have you, but I think I'm going to pass on this one.  And, I have to make just one comment on the idea that sitting on grass is a novel concept (although I do see that here, as the rain is pouring down, grass indoors makes for a much more predictable experience).  Getting back to nature seems to be a popular theme right now (and I'm all for it--I love nature!), but it is interesting how many of these ideas offer the convenience of bringing nature into the very spaces we often want to escape to nature from. 

In any case, it looks beautiful and part of me wishes I could get in the mood to sprawl out in the middle of it...maybe after the lecture.