Tuesday 25 October 2011

Our 3 year old

Yesterday Tyler turned 3--a wonderful number I think.  There are many significant things that come in threes: I come from a family of 3 kids, currently Luke, Tyler and I are a family of 3, we plan to live in the UK for 3 years (2 more from this point), when I was 3 I thought I was a big kid and "big kids can play in the parking lot" or so the story goes, we generally eat 3 meals a day, and if we're on the subject: I really enjoy 3 course meals, in tennis you need to win 2 out of 3 sets, my first road race was about 3 miles, I remember watching and enjoying The 3 Musketeers (and didn't mind the candy bar come Halloween time either), and so on.  Even The Guardian, a national UK newspaper, wrote about the significance of "3" back in 2003 (check out: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2003/mar/03/netnotes.simonjeffery to read about it)

It's everywhere: the number 3, which makes me think (and wish I could remember that time of life myself) it's a pretty cool age to be for Tyler. 

The world is still pretty new, and everyday is an incredible learning experience.  At 3 the bonus is you are starting to understand more and be able to converse about your thoughts (which makes for some really cute sayings and to be fair some not so cute--please don't say that in public--sayings).

Most importantly, I hope this year in his life will begin to show him the most important "3" that has come to be everything for Luke and I--that of the Trinity: the Father, Son and Holy Ghost "3".  We've wondered how to get this lesson across to our young son, a message that means the world and yet still amazes us, confuses us, and shows us we have much to learn about the God we serve.  Perhaps, and we hope to be on the right track with this one, we can show him how to have faith by learning to live by faith ourselves.  We hope he falls in love with God, and perhaps it will help him to witness us falling even deeper in love with God ourselves. 

And maybe in order to draw Tyler to crave the wisdom of the Bible, perhaps we need to be reading scripture more ourselves.  And what better way to celebrate the number 3 than ending with 1 Cor 13:13...

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Happy 3rd Birthday to our T-Man! We love, love, love you!